Saturday, May 24, 2014

A Rainy Walk


Boots pulled up high
coats buttoned tight
we set off down the road
while rain fell in light showers
and gutter rivers flowed

Balancing, arms stretched out  w i d e
we walked along the bank
toes skimming puddle edges
deep water at our flank

"Watch out!" I cried
"Go slowly now!
We can't fall in the river!"
The unseen heads of crocodiles
a danger where they loiter

We tip toe past
and tip toe on
further down the bank
watching ripples forming
as tiny pebbles sank

I stop just there and take his hand
unsure of seas ahead
knowing that those sneaky crocs
could leap just where we tread

We tip toe past
and tip toe on
his hand held tight in mine
as long as we're together
I'm sure we'll be just fine

We tip toe past
and tip toe on
'til quietly we stop

crouching near the puddle

peering through each drop

watching very carefully

staring at that spot

that spot just on the surface

where bubbles seemed to pop

And suddenly it leapt right up
and launched out of the puddle!
teeth gnashing fast
in snapping jaws
towards our screaming huddle!

I grabbed his hand
held extra tight
and ran on down the bank
away from crocodile danger
away from - then it yanked!

His boot stuck in the puddle
his socked foot wet and cold
the croc had knocked his shoe off!
I squeezed him, feeling bold

"Don't worry - I'll go get it!
I'm not scared of that croc!
And if he tries to eat me,
I'll throw this great big rock!"

And so I tip toed back now
to get that little boot
and once I'd fished it out
we left that fearsome brute!