Saturday, October 5, 2013

Whales


Each time we see a whale it's magical.
And last weekend was especially so.
A mother humpback whale and her calf swam right beside us 
as we walked along the Busselton Jetty.
(You can read about the jetty here)
I wrote this poem after watching this small part of their journey.


I don’t carry a suitcase
I have everything I need
for the journey to warmer waters
where I can safely breed

When summer time is over
with tummies full of krill
I swim up north with a friend or two
to oceans warm and still

I don’t need a paddle,
an oar, canoe or boat
I wave my tail up and down
moving forward as I float

My flippers help me steer
from over here to over there
I spout on the water’s surface
and breathe in clean fresh air

In the warmer waters
I like to jump and dance
breaching out of the ocean
caught in a musical trance

Then one day my calf is born
growing larger on rich pink milk
blubber forms; she lengthens out
swimming strong like whale-y ilk

Eventually it’s time to leave
for southern arctic waves
Brimming with fish and tasty krill
it’s here for the summer we’ll stay