Sunday, June 23, 2013

Ten Treasures



Wherever we go, we find treasures.
Big and small.
S m o o t h  and rough.
Treasures we can take home and keep; others we leave in their place.
All of them valuable.

I wrote a treasure-hunting poem for my kids here
For the park or the backyard.

This one is for the beach.
There are ten things to find.
Some days you might find them all.
Others, just a few.

It encourages them to look...


Ten Treasures

I’m often very hot
if you walk in bare feet;
but down below I’m cool-
a relief from the heat.
I am … (sand)

I used to be a home
for creatures in the sea;
washed up by the waves,
I’m as pretty as can be.
I’m a … (shell)

You can see me in the sand
and follow me somewhere;
The impression I leave
tells which creature’s been there.
I am … (footprints)

I burrow in the sand,
protected from waves;
On eight legs I scuttle-
when I’m feeling brave!
I’m a … (crab)

I have five pointed arms
and colours vivid bright;
I’m often found in rock pools-
water warm and light.
I’m a … (sea star)

I’m round and very prickly,
purple, brown or black;
My mouth is on the bottom,
spines up on my back.
I’m a … (sea urchin)

I have  l o n g, thin blades
and floats shaped like beads;
My fronds wave in the water
and tickle your feet.
I am … (seaweed)

I come in all sizes
and have glittery scales;
I swim very fast
with a flash of my tail.
I’m a … (fish)

Made of just sand
I stand majestic and tall;
You can often find shells
lining every wall.
I’m a … (sandcastle)

I have bright red legs
and a matching red beak;
I like to swoop down
to see what you eat!
I’m a … (seagull)


How many can you find?